Church In Summer St Botolph’s Church – Saxilby Holy Cross
HISTORY
Home Page
Services Calendar
(for the Group)
Calendar 2017
Contact List
Contact Us
Teams & Organisations
Mission Statement & Challenge
Church Hall
History
‘What’s On’ Diary
Foss Focus
 

The Parish Church of St. Botolph, Saxilby-with-Ingleby, is of considerable interest since it has indications of building in four different architectural styles over a period of some 900 years.

The oldest part of the present building is undoubtedly the wall of the NORTH AISLE. During restoration work in 1929 a doorway was discovered set in a rubble wall covered in plaster. The doorway is believed to be Saxon but is more probably Early Norman since it has a slightly chamfered arch. It must date back to about A.D. 1100 and is best seen from the outside.

The CAPITALS of the pillars at either end of the ARCADE of the NORTH AISLE in the Early English style, of about A.D. 1200, with 'stiff-leafed' foliage and a moulded abacus above.   The central pillars of the NORTH AISLE ARCADE are quatre-foil (four stemmed) in section and are in the Decorated style which succeeded the Early English, about A.D. 1300.The Chancel Arch is plain Early English. The rest of the building, consisting of the DOUBLE CHANCEL and CLERESTORIED NAVE, is in the Perpendicular style, dating from A.D.1350 to A.D. 1500.  The nave roof is 15th century with moulded principals and carved bosses. The TOWER was rebuilt in 1908 and contains six bells, four of which were re-hung and two added in 1947. Details of these are given on the board near the Font.The seven-arched CHANCEL SCREEN contains most of its original 15th century tracery of excellent workmanship in oak. The stairs which once gave access to the ROOD SCREEN may still be seen at the east end of the NORTH AISLE.The stained glass window in the north aisle, 1935, is by Sir Ninian Comper (1864-1960), a remarkably flamboyant Anglo-Catholic architect and designer of international repute, claimed by some to be the greatest church furnisher since Wren.  He designed the East “Brides Window” for Holy Trinity Church, Coventry and one of his last works was the Great Window in Westminster Hall in London in 1952.The NORTH CHANCEL is known as the DAUBENEY CHAPEL, as it was probably the Chantry of the family, descended from William de Albini who fought among the Norman invaders at Hastings in 1066. The D'Aubigny or Daubeney family held land at Ingleby until 1483, and was responsible for the enlargement of the little Norman church in the 14th and 15th centuries. On a tomb-chest of that period lie the figures of a knight and his lady in alabaster, the former identified as a D'Aubigny by the faint outline of the coat of alms on his chest armour. The effigies have been dated by experts not later than 1390, and they may commemorate Sir Giles Daubeney, who died in 1386, and Lady Alianore, who died in 1400. Almost certainly the effigies were brought from the private chapel at North Ingleby after it fell into disuse, and placed here on an existing tomb-chest. The entire monument was removed in 1993 for cleaning and conservation by Harrison Hill Ltd. at a cost of £10,500. The monument was rededicated by the Bishop of Lincoln in 1994, in the presence of members of the Daubeney family, who made a considerable contribution towards the restoration.

 The Daubeney arms also appear on the FONT, which dates from the same period as the Nave, and most of the other arms on it belong to families which had marriage connections with the D'Aubignys. They are thought to be (reading from the east side anti-clockwise): Bigod, D'Aubigny, Tibetot, Umfraville, St. Liz, Folliot, Pigot or Pickworth and Blake. In the Daubeney Chapel the altar now in use came from St. Peter-at-Gowts Church in Lincoln. There is also a 17th Century altar table.In the south wall of the SANCTUARY are a canopied Sedilia, or seat for the priest, and a Piscina, or drain, still in use for the washing of holy vessels at the Eucharist. There is also another (blocked up) Piscina in the Daubeney Chapel. The Santuary was restored in 1962 when a new altar rail and reredos were added. The shields bear the arms of dioceses which have churches dedicated to St. Botolph. From north to south they are: St. Edmundsbury and Ipswich, Lincoln, York, Canterbury, Ely and Norwich. The Mark of St. Botolph which also appears is taken from an old Norwegian 'prime staff' in Trondheim Cathedral.There is an Aumbry to the North of the Sanctuary for the Reservation of the Blessed Sacrament for the Communion of the Sick.The fine organ is by W. Hill, London, 1894. It has ten speaking stops, two manuals and pedals.Near the font is displayed a rare treasure, copies of manuscript sheets of music over 500 years old, consisting of a setting of the Creed in Latin in a curious notation. The originals are now in the County Archives.On the south wall under the tower is a list of priests who have served this church since 1209, and of priests of the Chapel at Ingleby dating from the time of Domesday Book in 1086.The Church also possesses a beautiful Chalice and Paten-cover dated 1569, and a fine Restoration Chalice given to Broxholme in 1664. In the County Archives are some interesting Churchwardens' Accounts from 1551 to 1569, and from 1624 to 1790. They are written in ink on parchment, and the earlier pages cover an eventful period in the history of the Church of England during the Reformation. The vexed question of the use of ornaments in church is illustrated in detail. The various articles discarded in the reign of the Protestant Edward VI (1547-1553) are reinstated in that of the Roman Catholic Mary I (1553-1558), only to be thrown aside in the reign of Elizabeth I (1558-1603).Truly the history of our parish churches is the history of England. As you consider the past of this building, remember that it is no ancient monument but the place of worship for a living community, the people of God. Of your charity pray for the souls of its benefactors in the past and all who worship here today.

For a range of information on local history see also the Saxilby & District History Group web-site: www.saxilbyhistory.org

 

 
Left Window   Left Plaque   Interior Church   Right Plaque   Right Window